Think Before You Install That Plugin
January 10, 2011speaking
At 48Web we deal with plugin related issues at least once a week. One of the quickest ways to bog down any good WordPress site is to overload it with a bunch of plugins and widgets that add little to no value to your WordPress site. This problem has grown due to the ease of installing plugins and the size of the marketplace that has grown up around it. Furthermore there are many, many poorly written plugins that can cause conflicts and poor performance. Ask yourself these questions before you install a plugin...
- Does this plugin add any value to website visitors?
- What does it actually do?
- Does the plugin support your version of WordPress?
- Is the plugin author reputable?
- Can I add this feature to my theme instead?